What Is Search Engine Optimisation?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is everything you do to get better rankings in Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs) for specific search terms or keywords. Although achieving this can take some time, it actually just boils down to three steps:
- Keyword Research
- Content Optimisation
- Link Building
This is the most important part of the process. You need to answer these three questions:
- What keywords are people searching for?
- How much competition is there for these keywords?
- Which ones will give the highest return on investment (ROI)?
Going after the most popular keywords may not be a sensible strategy until you have built your authority by dominating less competitive keywords.
Search engines need to return relevant results or people will stop using them. The key strategies for improving your page relevance are:
- Creating a unique page for each keyword.
- Including the keyword in your page title and headings.
- Including the keyword in links on your page and to your page.
- Linking to and from other pages relevant to the keyword.
So you have built a page which is relevant to your target keyword, but there could be a million other relevant pages out there too. How do search engines choose the one to place at the top? All else being equal, the pages with the highest page authority will appear first. Page authority is determined primarily by:
- The number of links to the page.
- The authority of the source of those links.
Effective link building and establishing authority is the real challenge in SEO.
So there you go. That's SEO in a nutshell. If you want information on our SEO services, please feel free to contact us.What Is Search Engine Optimisation?